Bomb Threat Safety
Whether in crowded public venues, office buildings, schools, or other locations, bomb threats can wreak havoc among targeted populations, often garnering national attention. Each threat must be taken seriously to prevent tragedy, but many bomb threats are fabricated or planned as part of non-deadly crimes. Authentic or not, bomb threats cause harm through the disruption, fear, and uncertainty they create. You can help lessen the potential damage by following the tips below.
If a Bomb Threat is Issued to You Personally
- Do not panic – bomb threats are meant to spread chaos. Remaining calm increases your focus and limits the risk of danger.
- Pay careful attention to any caller who issues a bomb threat. Record all details of the conversation. The more precise a threat, the more likely it is legitimate.
- Listen for important details such as:
- Where is the bomb?
- When was it planted, and when is it going to go off?
- What type of bomb is it, or what does it look like?
- What is the reason for the bomb?
- Note identifying characteristics of the caller, including gender, accent, mental stability, motive, and location.
- Ensure that the caller's phone number is recorded.
- As soon as the call is finished, report the threat to security service or law enforcement officials who can coordinate emergency response, immediate building evacuation, and notification of nearby businesses and residents.
- Give all details of the call or written bomb threats to officials, preserving the message's original format if possible.
If a Bomb Threat is Issued to Your Building or Area
- Maintain your composure, and attempt to calm others.
- Evacuate together as a group. Do not separate.
- Clear the area, and wait for authorities to arrive and resolve the situation. Never re-enter a building until it has been cleared by law enforcement officials.
- Check with security service or law enforcement officials that the state Department of Homeland Security or emergency management office has been advised of the threat. Update officials with any information you may know.
- Scan the area for any suspicious bags, packages, or boxes that are out of place or unrecognized. If an object fits this description, keep yourself and others away from it. Do not attempt to smell, touch, or come into contact with the object. Alert authorities immediately.
About Andrews International, Inc.
Andrews International, Inc., headquartered in Los Angeles, California, is an industry-leading full service provider of security and risk mitigation services. Through local offices in the United States and Latin-America and nearly 150 strategic partners around the world, the company provides security services to a wide range of business sectors in all 50 states and internationally to many of the Fortune 500. The firm's portfolio of services includes uniformed security, consulting and investigations, personal protection, special event security, training, alarm monitoring and response, and disaster and emergency response services. For more information, please visit the Andrews International website at www.andrewsinternational.com.